Professor Nikhilesh R Vaid
Professor Nikhilesh R Vaid is the President of the World Federation of Orthodontists and has been past president of the Asian Pacific Orthodontic Society and the Indian Orthodontic Society. He is an active member of the E.H.Angle Society of Orthodontists- North Atlantic component.
He is a former Professor and Vice-Dean of the European University College in Dubai,UAE and has a Private Practice in Dubai and Mumbai, India. He has widely published and edited journals including the “Seminars in Orthodontics” on four occasions and was the Editor in Chief of “ APOS Trends in Orthodontics” from 2010 20. He’s currently Editor Emeritus of the same. He’s published more than 100 peer reviewed papers and text book chapters and has lectured in more than 50 countries around the world.
The important forums at which he has lectured include the AAO Annual Sessions, the International Orthodontic Congresses and many more. Prof Vaid’s current areas of interest are Evidence Based Protocols,Technology,Aligners and Rx effects and Management Protocols. He is passionate about Bollywood, Modern Indian Art, Cricket, Single Malt Whiskies and of-course Orthodontics. His mission is to encourage global collaboration in the profession through leadership, advocacy and voluntary service towards professional societies.
Lecture 1: “TAD terrain:Current perspectives and future forecasts!”
Temporary anchorage devices (TADs) have gained profound applications in contemporary orthodontic protocols to treat almost every genre of malocclusion; be it arising from dentoalveolar component, from a skeleton component, or a combination of both. The versatility of TADs has allowed the horizons of orthodontic treatment to be expanded by utilising bone as an anchor unit, predictably.This presentation will:
- Dwell into the journey of TADs through Kuhn’s Paradigm; from its humble beginnings in the form of animal studies to case reports, randomised control trials and meta-analyses.
- Crunch numbers that can aid in clinical decision making based on contemporary research of clinical outcomes.
- Weigh-in on the potential future of TAD applications in orthodontics.
Lecture 2: More than meets the EYE! – Aligner Evidence through the Clinician’s lens.
Aligners play a significant role in current clinical protocols and their use in contemporary practice is only increasing. It is estimated that 30 percent of orthodontic patients globally will be treated by aligners in the next year or so! However ,the scholarly evidence based on prospective clinical trials is still scarce, and often confusing for the clinician to make decisions that are applicable in practice. A lot of claims showcased in published case reports and/or manufacturer’s learning platforms actually contradict the data reported in independent trials. This lecture will critically evaluate and discuss aligner science based on:
E – evidence as it exists today!
Y – yearning for clinical applicability! – discuss the missing links.
E – enlist and enumerate challenges and proposed solutions in planning aligner research
The listener will be able to:
- understand the nuances of contemporary aligner scholarly literature and its applicability to clinical practice.
- differentiate aligner claims that are promotional strategies versus the one that have been tested on the evidence terrain.
- understand the missing links in aligner research that can be addressed in future trials.
- understand the role of adjuncts in successful aligner therapy.
- optimize technology in aligner therapeutics.