Biomechanics and Science Based Orthodontics
(1) Enhancing Esthetics with Targeted Mechanics
- Smile Dynamics: University of Connecticut Normative Study
- Management of deep bites
- Differential diagnosis and treatment of midline problems
- Management of occlusal plane problems
- Developing a mechanics plan
- Mechanics to avoid
- Application of cantilevers, intrusion arches and asymmetric mechanics
- Case reports
(2) Multidisciplinary Treatment
- Lengthening alveolar bone with extrusive forces for missing laterals
- Preparing edentulous sites for implants with orthodontic mechanics
- Intruding supra erupted teeth to create vertical space for prosthesis in opposing arch
- Orthodontic management of patients with multiple agenesis
(3) Management of Open Bite Patients
- Diagnosis ,treatment plan and options
- Pros and cons of various treatment modalities
- Biomechanics based simple smart wires to correct dental open bites
- Headgear, habit breaking appliances and elastics
- Application of bone plates and mini screws to correct open bites
Dr. Ravindra Nanda is at present a UConn Alumni Endowed Chair, and Professor and Head of the Department of Craniofacial Sciences and Chair of the Division of Orthodontics, University of Connecticut, Farmington, Connecticut, U.S.A.
He received his dental training from Lucknow University, India. He received his orthodontic training first at Lucknow, India and then from Nijmegen, The Netherlands and the University of Connecticut. He also received a Ph.D. for the University of Nijmegen. He was an Assistant Professor of Orthodontics at Loyola University, Illinois from 1970 to 1972 and since 1972 he has been associated with the University of Connecticut.
Dr. Nanda has been author and co-author of seven orthodontic books and more than two hundred scientific and clinical articles in major journals. He is Editor-in-Chief of Progress in Orthodontics. He is on the editorial board of ten different national and international orthodontic journals. He is also an associate editor of Journal of Clinical Orthodontics.
He is an active member of various organizations, including the American Association of Orthodontists, the European Orthodontic Society and the Edward H. Angle Society. Dr. Nanda is a Diplomate of the American Board of Orthodontics. He has given numerous named lectures at national and international societies including the Mershon Memorial Lecture at the American Association of Orthodontics Annual Session and Sheldon Friel Memorial Lecture at 2011 EOS Congress. He has been recognized with various awards from numerous international orthodontic organizations.
Dr.Nanda is a co-editor of a book Retention and Stability. His most recent books are Biomechanics in Clinical Orthodontics, Biomechanic and Esthetic Strategies in Clinical Orthodontics, Temporary Anchorage Devices in Orthodontics, Current Therapy in Orthodontics and Esthetics and Biomechanics in Orthodontics. His new book is titled “Atlas of Complex Orthodontics”.